Naturopathic Medicine is defined by principles rather than by methods or modalities. Above all, it honors the body’s innate wisdom to heal.
Naturopathic Medicine is dedicated to the study and celebration of nature’s healing powers. It is a dynamic philosophy that recognizes the interconnection and interdependence of all living things. Naturopathic Doctors utilize the most natural, least invasive and least toxic therapies to treat illness and to promote wellness by viewing the body as an integrated whole.
The six principles that guide the therapeutic methods and modalities of Naturopathic Medicine include:
- The Healing Power of Nature
- Identify and Treat the Causes Look beyond the symptoms to the underlying cause
- First Do No Harm Utilize the most natural, least invasive and least toxic therapies.
- Doctor as Teacher Educate patients in the steps to achieving and maintaining health.
- Treat the Whole Person View the body as an integrated whole in all its physical and spiritual dimensions. .
- Prevention Focus on overall health, wellness and disease prevention. Source: AANMC.org/The 6 Principles